Overview of trip: Explore Nuremberg and also visit the fairy tale town of Rothenberg Ob De Tauber.
Date of Travel: June 2017
Cost of flights: Return Manchester to Nuremberg £33 (Ryanair)
Saturday 13:00 Manchester – Nuremberg 15:00
Monday 10:10 Nuremberg – Manchester 12:15
Accommodation: Park Inn by Raddison, for a 2 night stay £78 (£39 based on two sharing)
The hotel, was super easy to get to from the airport on public transport, very close walking distance from the old town and also easy to walk to the main central station. For the price, I would highly recommend this hotel.
Currency in Nuremberg, Germany: The Euro, is the local currency. Currently at the time of publishing: €1 = £0.90
Day 1 arrival: We arrived and traveled to our hotel by the local U-Bhan from the airport, the hotel was located across the road from the U-bhan stop. After we had checked in, we explored the old town of Nuremberg on foot, visiting the main square and sights such as the Nuremberg Castle and the St Lorenzo Church, before heading for a bite to eat. We then spent the evening at a local wine festival, which was on during the time of visit.
- U-Bhan ticket to stop opposite hotel (10 stops 15mins, U2, from Flughafen Nürnberg to stop: Plärrer) €3
- Evening meal at Pizza & Via (amazing home made Italian food just of the central square, very cheap and amazing pizzas) Full Pizza €3.50 beer €3.50
- Had drinks in the square at a large local wine festival €4 per glass of wine (€12)
Day 2: We took the train to visit the beautiful fairly tale style town of Rothenberg Ob De Tauber for the day. We arrived back in Nuremberg in the early evening and headed to some of the alternative historical sights, such as the remaining grounds of where the Nazi Party Rallies were once held. Its an interesting sight to visit and worthwhile to understand how the locals have reclaimed the space over the years to bring the area back into recreational use.
- Soft drink from hotel vending machine €3
- Train to Rothenberg Ob De Tauber (included changing trains) €19.10 for two to travel on the same ticket, we was unsure what to buy from the machines so asked at a kiosk ( €9.55 cost per person)
- Lunch at a local restaurant in the old town of Rothenburg Ob De Tauber (Beer €3, Local meal of sausage and sour kraut and potatoes €9.50, water for the table to share €5) total for meal €15
- Pastry called a Schneeball, traditional to this local area, from a bakery €1.80
- Arriving back at the train station stopped in a lidl for snacks and water (Kinder chocolate pack, Pretzel from the bakery section and two bottles of water) €3
- Evening meal in Nuremberg center, main course, chicken schnitzel and beer €15
Day 3, Departure: An early morning back to the airport to head home.
- Return to the airport via the U-Bhan €3
Total cost of travel:
Day 1: €21 £18.91
Day 2: €47.35 £42.63
Day 3: €3 £2.70
Price for the trip is calculated on the entire cost for one person, based on a group of two travelling together.
Whilst I enjoyed a short trip it was easy to see a lot in a short space of time, Germany in particular has excellent efficient transport links and traveling around is quick and cheap.
Nuremberg is an excellent city all year round to visit. From summer wine festivals to Christmas markets